With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, we dove into our collection of romantic hideaways and came up with five destinations that are practically synonymous with love.
1) Feeling the love in Bali is as effortless as a dip in the sea. The setting of Eat Pray Love is a land of sunsets and temples, mountains and beaches. At Echo Beach in Seminyak, the crowds and thin and the rocky outcrops are laced with mist.
2) The backdrop for many a passion-filled romance, the Italian Riviera satisfies all the senses with luscious food, gorgeous scenery, and the language of Puccini.
3) Winding walkways, turquoise waters, and bright white buildings have made Santorini the go-to vacation spot for honeymooners. Spring is the best time to visit the Greek Isles, as the summer crowds have not yet flocked in.
4) It might not be the first place you think of for a romantic retreat, but Japan has stirred the hearts of countless poets and lovers with its snowcapped peaks, blushing gardens, and pink-petaled canopies.
5) While the right setting is crucial when it comes to romance, so is the right tempo. On laid-back Maui, the rhythm is slow, ideal for staying in bed till noon or watching the sun rise from the top of Haleakala. —Georgina Read